KR TRAINING FEBRUARY 2012 NEWS
NEW CLASSES ADDED
Due to high demand we've added two more sessions of Basic Pistol 1, on Saturday, Feb 25. We have morning and afternoon sessions on the calendar, with spaces available in both. We also added another session of Defensive Pistol Skills 2 on March 31.
KR TRAINING IN THE NEWS
KR Training is featured in an article by Glenn Meyer in the February 2012 Concealed Carry magazine about our AT-7 Force on Force class, and a defensive knife course taught by guest instructor Charles Rives.
KR TRAINING SHOOTING TEAM NEWS
Karl, Tim Meyers, Dave Re, Leslie Buck and Dave Reichek will be attending the Polite Society Tactical Conference, run by Tom Givens, February 25-26 in Memphis. This year, Karl, Leslie, and long-time KR Training student Dr. Glenn Meyer will all present training sessions at the conference, and Karl and Tim will try to repeat their top 5 finishes from last year.
Karl and Penny are coaching the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Pistol Team this spring, helping them prepare for an appearance at the All Army Scholastic Steel Challenge match in March at Ft. Benning, Georgia.
CRIME IS UP
Austin PD reports that crime downtown is up 83%, there were multiple home invasions in the Austin area in the past few months, and there were 1100+ carjackings in Houston last year, with half of those occurring at the victim's homes. Auto thieves in Austin are targeting trucks, too. A new CATO institute paper analyses over 4000 recent "armed citizen" incidents and finds that "home invasion" attacks are the most common scenario. CATO also has an interesting map showing defensive gun uses by states.
HOST A HOME DEFENSE TACTICS CLASS AND GET FREE TRAINING
It's been awhile since we've run a session of our Home Defense Tactics class. We offer this course from 7-10 pm on a weekday evening, at the home of a student that is willing to host the class. Class size is limited to 6 students, plus everyone living in the host house. During the class, we do an "outside to inside" security assessment of the home, discuss home security measures, work through likely scenarios specific to that home, and do drills with inert firearm replicas (red guns) working with flashlights in a furnished home...all for $60. The course host (and those living in the house) attend the course for free.
We are currently looking for students to host spring sessions of this course. Contact us if you are interested in hosting this course.
DYNAMIC PISTOL MARKSMANSHIP
Tom Givens returns March 24-25 for his 2 day Dynamic Pistol Marksmanship class. This course is also known as "Combative Pistol 2". It's intended for graduates of our DPS2 and AT-4 courses, graduates of Combative Pistol 1 and similar multiday pistol courses, and IPSC/IDPA competitors looking to improve their speed and accuracy. This will be 2 days of intensive live fire drills and lecture material focused on analysis of incidents Tom's students have survived. 1000 rounds, $400.
The Rangemaster February 2012 newsletter is here. It includes an excellent article on mindset.
AMERICAN ACTION SHOOTING NATIONALS - MARCH 17th
IPSC Grand Master and former World Champion Ted Bonnet will be running the American Action Shooting Association (AASA) National Championship at the Bullet Hole range in San Antonio, TX on March 17th. This fun match is all "shoot off" format on falling steel. For more information, visit www.americanactionshooting.com
Real world examples of why we teach what we teach:
- Girl killed when "unloaded" gun fires (safe direction, always check the chamber visually when unloading)
- Avery Ranch homeowner kills unarmed trespasser (don't leave your safe room to confront intruders outside the home unless a person known to you is in immediate danger and you are willing to risk your life to protect them, don't shoot fleeing intruders, don't hold people at gunpoint)
- Cast member on Nat Geo "Doomsday Preppers" shoots off part of a finger during taping. (Safe direction, finger off trigger until ready to shoot)
- Young woman dies when drunken gun owner has negligent discharge while showing gun to party guest (safe direction, always check the chamber visually when unloading, don't handle guns after consuming alcohol)
- Paul Howe on Stance and Grip (pay careful attention to the last section, starting at 5:30, where he describes what to do after you stop shooting your immediate threat. His process is essentially the same as what we teach: determine if you need to engage that threat again, with arms at full extension, then go to high ready and scan.)
- San Antonio homeowner shoots man for stealing potted plant (don't leave your safe room to confront intruders outside the home unless a person known to you is in immediate danger and you are willing to risk your life to protect them)
- Bob Vogel on The Draw (importance of coming down on the gun, making contact high on the gun, keeping head stationary, additional time required on sights/trigger for targets farther away)
Inc. magazine profiles Midway - one of the best run companies in the gun industry, and according to them, one of the best run businesses of any kind in the US.
Montgomery County becomes the first in Texas to allow county workers to carry on the job.
The SIG Academy has created a good set of dry fire drills.
The members of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" are much more likely to commit a crime than the average CHL holder. Former Austin mayor Will Wynn makes the list of MAIG members charged with violent offenses.
Popular Mechanics writes about Force on Force training.
Defcon 19 talk showing how to 'hack' and break into gun safes. (Contains 'not safe for work' language, 38 minutes long, well worth the time to watch it.)
Down Range blog highlights
- Dave Spaudling on Speer Gold Dot
- Bill Rogers on Dry Firing
- Bill Rogers on Shooting Steel
- New Michael Janich DVD released
- Travis Haley on AR speed reload
John "Hsoi" Daub blog highlights
- The Importance of the First Shot (Doug Koenig)
- Dynamic First Aid Class AAR
- Who Needs To be Armed in A National Park?
- Maybe I'll Switch to Gold Dot (ammo)
- Observations from BP2 & DPS1
- Strategy for Self-Defense for College Students
- You're Surrounded by Felons
- Defensive Pistol Skills 1 AAR
MARDI GRAS TIME
In celebration of Mardi Gras, a few links to New Orleans songs recorded live at Luigi's in College Station, with me on piano with the house band:
- Basin Street Blues (2-26-11)
- Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans (2-26-11)
- All of Me (10-28-11)
A "Best of Luigis 2011" compliation is now available for free download from the Karl Rehn Music website.
READY FOR SPRING!
After a very rainy February, we are ready for spring, with a full schedule of classes planned.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew