KR TRAINING SEPTEMBER 2012 NEWS
PERSONAL TACTICS SKILLS
On October 6th we'll be offering our 3 hour Personal Tactics Skills course in the afternoon. This class, taught with non-firing "red guns", covers tactics for home defense, street and vehicle defense and other topics. This course goes beyond what's covered in the Texas CHL class, including roleplaying exercises indoors and around vehicles. This course is highly recommended for family members that may not be the primary "shooter" in the household. It's a good course to discuss family tactics, what family members would do in typical armed citizen situations, and get advice on "what to do" in many common scenarios. $60.
OCTOBER 20th FALL SPECIAL
In October 20th, we'll be offering 3 classes in one day, providing a great training opportunity that includes live fire (Defensive Pistol Skills 2), force on force scenarios (Advanced Training 2), and Low Light Shooting (live fire and FoF). These three classes cover all the key areas an armed citizen should be training in. We only offer this package twice a year: once in the spring and once in the fall. We encourage you to take advantage of this special opportunity!
WOMEN ON TARGET
Tom Schaefer, Howard Nemerov and Grace Garne will host an NRA Women on Target event at the Schaefer Training Academy on October 27th. The WOT event is basically a fun shoot, mostly for .22 pistols, where ladies (and their family members) can get some informal coaching and shooting practice. Preregistration is required - enroll using our regular registration process.
NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER CLASSES
There will be no live-fire classes at the A-Zone in November, due to an agreement with our range neighbors to be quiet during deer season. Tom Schaefer will offer CHL new permit, CHL renewal, and Beginner Pistol as usual at his facility. The only A-Zone course for November will be the AT-5 and -5A force on force scenario courses.
I will be available in November and December for Home Defense Tactics courses, if anyone is interested in hosting one. This 3 hour course is typically held on a weekday evening, from 7-10 pm, at a student's home. The student hosting the course gets the course for free, provided we can get 6 others to enroll at the $60 tuition rate. This course is an inexpensive way to get some great training in doing home security assessments, developing a family plan, practicing moving indoors in low light scenarios with firearms, and other essential skills. Contact me if you are interested in hosting a course in November or December.
We currently have an AT-7 scenario course planned for December 8. Depending on interest and negotiations with neighbors we may replace that course with a Basic Pistol 2 or Defensive Pistol Skills 1 class. If you are interested in either of those in December, please contact me.
On December 16th (Sunday afternoon), Chuck Rives will return to offer a 4 hour seminar on using improvised weapons for self defense. The course will include hands on instruction in basic techniques, discussion of what items can be used effectively as improvised weapons, and a training 'stick' for each student as a take-home that can be used for follow on practice. For many students, employer rules and state laws prohibit legal carry of guns, and sometimes knives. Given the choice between being completely unarmed and being able to use something within arm's reach as an improvised weapon, the smart decision is to use the available tools. This course is suitable for anyone an ideal for those with no or limited prior martial arts/unarmed training. 4 hours, $80.
- Sept 30 Armsfest at Copperhead Creek range in Marble Falls. Sponsored by AR15Targets.com. Come shoot suppressed guns, full auto guns, 3 stage carbine/pistol match, steel targets and more! (click here for details)
- NRA Range Safety Officer course to be offered at Austin Rifle Club Oct 6. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- IPSC Range Officer class to be held in Waco Dec 1 & 2, $45, 2 days. Contact email@example.com for details.
- Robbery caught on tape - security guard does well. (The guard responds quickly, uses good tactics, fights off multiple attackers. Excellent example of "doing it right.")
- NYPD shoots multiple innocent bystanders. (12 lb trigger pulls and no practice results in bullets missing intended targets and hitting the wrong people.)
- A Tactical Scenario - what would you do?
- 8 ways to spot someone carrying a concealed gun
- CHL holder stops stabbing at San Antonio school (firsthand account from the CHL holder)
- Michael Bane (DownRangeTV) on "stopping power"
- Long video of an OR doctor's presentation on gunshot wounds
- MyGunCulture.com's Insanely Practical Holster Guide (does not cover all holsters, but does have good information.
- Suburban Survivalist Dad uses his flashlight to deter a neighbor's off-leash dog
- Austin CHL holder shoots off-leash dog, points gun at neighbors, faces aggravated assault charges
- KR Training Shooting team member Nathan Taylor has some great YouTube videos and Facebook content on shooting and guns.
- USPSA club runs the LAPD qualification course of fire as a club match. Most club members pass.
- Forbes.com: what the Left won't tell you about the boom in US gun sales
- Suburban Dad Survivalist Med-X class AAR
John "Hsoi" Daub blog highlights
- On the Eye-Target line
- Are Guns Really the Problem?
- Mayor Bloomberg, you are confusing
- Based on characteristics, not gender
- BP2 and DPS1 15 Sept 2012 AAR
- Maybe I need some "damp" fire
- Med X class AAR
FREEDOM MUNITIONS CONTEST
Our friends at Freedom Munitions are going to pick one lucky person to win a case of ammo every month for 6 months. To enter the drawing click here and join their email list.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK!
If you want to get the blog links and other news items more often, "like" our KR Training page on Facebook. I post a few items each day, as I find the interesting links that I compile here. You can also ask questions and comment on classes.
See you at the range!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew