KR TRAINING JUNE 2014 NEWS
2014 SUMMER & FALL CLASSES
We added another session of DPS-1 on July 12, (from 8am to noon) based on student demand.
We have cancelled the AT-5 planned for July 26 and replaced it with the 3 hour all live-fire AT 6 course, based on student requests.
We have also added more classes to our September and October schedule, including more sessions of Defensive Pistol Essentials, DPS-1, DPS-2, Low Light Shooting, Defensive Long Gun Essentials and AT-2 Force on Force.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT USPSA MATCHES AT THE A-ZONE
KR Training and the Chicken Ranch Shooters USPSA club (LaGrange, Texas) will be running USPSA format matches at the A-Zone range on selected Wednesday nights in June and July. The matches will be limited to 18 shooters, and all participants must pre-register online and pay their $15 match fee in full in advance. 4 stages, 75-90 rounds per match. Shooting will begin at 6 p.m. and run until 9 pm or dark. Shooters can arrive as late as 7:30 p.m. Late arrivals are OK. More details here. Registration links will be announced via the TXIPSC list and KR Training Facebook page.
HANDGUN COACHING CLASS JUNE 21
On June 21, a new course (Handgun Coaching) will debut. This 3 hour course is for people who completed Basic Pistol 2, CHL or Defensive Pistol Skills 1 who felt that the pace of the classes were too fast, that wanted more time or more repetitions on drills to feel comfortable with the techniques, had problems specific to their equipment (difficulty racking the slide, loading or ejecting magazines, locking the slide open, holster issues), or want help learning how to disassemble their gun or clean it. The new course will be limited to 8 students and will have a slower pace and lower stress than our regular courses.
NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME & DPS-3
We will be offering the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course for all students, and the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor course, over a 3 day period from June 28-30. Day 2 (6 hours) of the NRA PPOTH course is the same as our DPS-3 course.
Here are all the options available:
(1) Students can take Saturday PPOTH only, as an 8 hour standalone course, and get an NRA PPOTH certificate. That 8 hours of training is equivalent to taking our DPS-1 and DPS-2 courses. For graduates of DPS-1 and DPS-2, it's an excellent review/refresher with slightly different drills. If you've taken DPS-1 with us in 2014, you can get a $50 discount on the Saturday PPOTH course.
(2) Students can take Saturday and Sunday PPOTH and get the enhanced NRA PPOTH certificate for the 14 hour course. This is equivalent to taking DPS-1, DPS-2 and DPS-3. Those attending on Sunday will also shoot the NRA Defensive Pistol qualification test.
(4) Instructor candidate that have already taken the 14 hour official NRA PPOTH student course (no equivalent training can substitute) can attend the Sunday and Monday instructor sessions and get their PPOTH instructor rating.
(5) Instructor candidate that have never taken the NRA PPOTH course have to attend all 3 days to get their PPOTH instructor rating. Instructor candidates must be certified NRA Personal Protection IN the Home Instructors to attend.
DPS BACKUP GUN AUGUST 9
The DPS-1 "BUG" class is a chance to use that little gun (in any caliber) that you'll be carrying in your pocket all summer - that gun you never practice with because it's no fun to shoot, but it's the one you are betting your life on. It's important to train with what you actually carry. You will shoot the NRA Defensive Pistol certification test during this course.
SUBURBAN DAD SURVIVALIST FIELD DAY AUGUST 2
On August 2, we'll be hosting the Suburban Dad Survivalist Field Day. This all day event will include presentations on many non-shooting preparedness topics: indoor and outdoor sessions, with emphasis on hands-on learning, including chainsaw usage, solar cooking, fire extinguisher training, medicinal herbs, rainwater collection, ham radio usage, snaring and trapping wild game, reloading ammo, map reading and orienteering, first aid, generator usage, bug out bag gear selection, and more. This will be a great value for $50.
DYNAMIC FIRST AID AUGUST 3
On August 3, Caleb Causey of Lone Star Medics will be teaching a one day Dynamic First Aid course. This class will teach a wide spectrum of first aid skills useful to anyone in a life-threatening medical situation. First aid training should be part of your personal safety plan, and just like shooting skills, first aid skills need to be practiced and refreshed.
KR TRAINING SHOOTING TEAM NEWS
The KR Training Shooting team competed in the STI Double Tap Championship June 13-15. KR Training alumnus Dave Re was 4th overall in Open, Roy Stedman was 10th overall in Limited, and Dave Reichek finished in 3rd place in Production A class. The match was won by Max Michel, who has taught multiple courses at KR Training in the past.
- Houston homeowner dies in shootout with home invaders
- Off duty cop convenience store shootout (Brazil - graphic)
- Murder victims by weapon (FBI data)
- Force on Force active shooter training at ABIA
- The Bag Trick (how to conceal a gun in public)
- Stress Inoculation (from Ed Head of Gunsite)
- CCW carrying clerk returns fire, shoots armed robber
- Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots armed robber
- Updated CHL-16 book from DPS now available
- "I'll only be out for a few minutes" (carry your damn gun!)
- Brothers in Arms gunshop (Bastrop area - check em out!)
- Number Breakdown of US Gunowners
- Tactical Training vs Competition Shooting (Good thoughts)
STUFF FROM HSOI (blog highlights)
- AAR May 10 BP2/DPS-1 classes
- Shootin practice
- Minimum competency for defensive pistol (again)
- Homicide Trends
- Problems and Solutions
- Why Capacity?
- Your Life is Precious. Act Like It.
- DR Performance Deck (IOS app) - 20% off in June!
- Professionals and (lack of) training
- Position Sul (link to video from Position Sul creator Max Joseph)
We look forward to training you in 2014!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew