KR TRAINING JULY 2012 NEWS
DEFENSIVE PISTOL SKILLS BACKUP GUN CLASS
Many of us have smaller guns that we carry when it's hard to carry our primary gun. A lot of people who have that smaller gun don't shoot it very often, because it's harder and less fun than the primary gun. Many assume that skills learned with the primary gun will translate, so there's no need to do realistic training with that "other gun".
We've developed a Back-up Gun (BUG) oriented Defensive Pistol class, being offered for the first time on July 28th. The BUG class will be an opportunity to get some realistic training with your .38 snub, pocket .380, mini-9, or whatever your "other gun" is. Don't have a BUG, but sometimes carry your primary in a daytimer, purse, or other bag? This class is an opportunity to train with that gear also.
This will be the ONLY session of this class we offer this year. Don't miss this valuable training opportunity!
HANDGUNNING BEYOND THE BASICS
Due to popular demand, I've added an August 18th sesson of Handgunning: Beyond the Basics from 8-12, and an afternoon Skill Builder for those that want to get more out of the class by running more drills after lunch.
AURORA, CO THEATER SHOOTING
For armed citizens, the "lessons learned" from this incident should be familiar:
1) Carry a gun. Figure out how to carry the gun you shoot best, or buy a smaller gun that you're willing to carry and make that gun the focus of your range time and dry practice.
2) Learn fighting skills that can keep you and those you care about alive until professional help arrives.
3) Learn first aid skills that can keep you and those you care about alive until professional help arrives.
STUFF FOR SALE BY STUDENTS
Gerald G. has a nice Remington 1100 3-gun shotgun for sale, many ups and extras. $1000, Austin area. (512) 608-5723
Robert W. has used Comp-Tac CTAC holsters for Glock 26 and Kahr K and MK series pistols for sale. $50 each holster.
My new article "Make Your Instructor Happy" is in the July 2012 issue of Concealed Carry magazine.
- Phoenix boy protects family: shoots, nearly kills intruder
- The Human Path now offering wilderness and first aid training in Austin (recommended by assistant instructor Brian Brown)
- 71-year old permit holder shoots 2 armed robbers in Florida (video)
- The evils of speed holstering (graphic pics)
- Captains of Crush grip trainer can help your shooting
- Three ways carrying a gun makes you a better person
- "The fire extinguisher gun - ready when you need it" (Thoughts on gun selection)
- Pro gun group uses Chicago gun buyback money to send kids to shooting camp
- Concealed carry for larger women (written by a "larger woman")
- Dealing with the double action trigger
- Surviving the Flash Mob
- Brazos Valley shotgun shooters win big at Junior Olympics
- Houston trainer Brian Hoffner has designed new concealed carry pants & shorts, available now
- 1988 Steel Challenge - vintage video. Austin shooter Chip McCormick won the match.
KR Training Shooting Team members
- Tips on Target Transitions (NicTaylor00)
- Speed Shooting Challenge for Everyone (NicTaylor00)
- Texas Tactical IDPA match shooter video (Tim Meyers)
KR Training Shooting Team member Roy Stedman wins "Limited 10" division at Texas State Limited Championship, July 22nd.
John "Hsoi" Daub blog highlights
- How much training do you need?
- What are the chances you'll need a gun?
- Various things from recent Rangemaster newsletters
- Austin crime data
- AAR BP2 and Skill Builder July 14
- Dry Fire Routine
- On small guns
- Train to a higher standard
- A Girl and a Gun (club goes national)
LEANNASAURUS REX VIDEO
Some video of me performing with Leannasaurus Rex at a laid-back Sunday afternoon gig with our biker friends at Yankees Tavern in Carlos, Texas.
- Whippin Post
- Bad Girls
- I Don't Need No Doctor > Whole Lotta Love
- Old Habits
- Chain of Fools (w/ "Rockit")
- Come Together
- Wings (Storyville)
See you at the range!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew