KR TRAINING JANUARY 2016 NEWS
My thoughts on open carry, and the announcement of our Open Carry contest. Win a free slot in the January 30th open carry course by sending me pics of bad examples of open carry you see in public.
JANUARY, FEBRUARY CLASSES ALMOST FULL
Many of the classes we have scheduled in January and February are already sold out, or very close to full. Classes with slots still open are:
Jan 23 (6p-9p) - Low Light Shooting, $60
Jan 24 (12-5p) - License To Carry, $75
Jan 30 (9a-3p) - Open Carry Concepts, Karl Rehn & Leslie Buck, $100
Feb 6 (9a-12p) - Basic Pistol 1, $80
Feb 19 (6p-10p), Feb 20-21 - Extreme Close Quarters Concepts (Craig Douglas), $500
Click here to register for any upcoming class.
OPEN CARRY CONCEPTS JANUARY 30th
Even if you don't plan to open carry, even if you don't own a retention holster, the Open Carry Concepts course is valuable training. The course includes drills not covered in any other course we offer, including extensive use of 3D targets, drawing from inside a vehicle, drawing from seated and prone positions, and 2 hours of instruction in weapon retention and disarm techniques from Leslie Buck. The January 30th session is the last one planned for 2016. Win a free slot in the course by sending me pics of open carry derp you see in public.
LICENSE TO CARRY (CHL) COURSE JANUARY 24th
On Sunday, I'll be teaching a License to Carry (CHL) certification course at the A-Zone. $75. Includes range and classroom, including the new material on open carry. Class runs 1 to 5 pm.
JANUARY 23 LOW LIGHT SHOOTING
Many armed confrontations happen at night, yet low light shooting is a skill that most armed citizens have no training in, and never practice. This 3 hour course teaches the use of a handheld flashlight, weapon mounted light, night sights, and lasers for shooting in low light. Bring the gear you own and learn to use it, and/or try some of the different lights and sights on our loaner gear to learn about the pros and cons of these low light shooting tools. This class is a bargain at $60. Nobody else in the area offers a similar course, and we do not have another session of this course on the spring schedule.
Students that have taken this course before can attend for the even-lower refresher price of $40.
- 2016 edition of CHL-16 book on Texas gun laws from DPS
- Open Carry Concepts class AAR (Hsoi)
- Regarding the events of January 5 2015 (Hsoi) - firsthand account of deadly force incident
- The Triple Threat Assessment (excellent article on individual risk assessment)
- 30 minutes of AR training from the US Marksmanship Unit
- Qualification and Skill (Firearm User Network)
- Shooting With X-Ray Vision class AAR (Hsoi)
- Inexpensive body armor panel that fits nicely inside a laptop bag or briefcase. Used by several KR Training instructors as part of our daily carry gear.
- TX DPS powerpoint on open carry holsters
- Austin PD discusses open carry
- New Claude Werner training CD on "negative outcomes" (recommended!)
- Slate.com searchable map of "gun violence"
- Excellent video from San Antonio PD on active shooter response, includes armed citizen recommendation
- Univ. of Texas campus carry panel recommendations
- Texas State campus carry panel recommendations
- SWAT storms bar after mic stand mistaken for gun
- Instructor shoots student in "firearm safety" class
- How to stop mass shootings (guns.com)
- "Killed in the Streets Again" (Firearm User Network)
- Murders at record low levels (Washington Examiner)
- Making Good Decisions (Hsoi)
- Close contact skills for pistol shooting
- Greg Gutfeld on guns in America (Fox news)