KR TRAINING DECEMBER 2013 NEWS
WINTER AND 2014 SPRING CLASSES
The latest schedule is here. It includes classes planned from January- April 2014, including many guest instructor courses and special events.
2nd Annual SUBURBAN DAD SURVIVALIST CONFERENCE - January 4
There are still a few slots left for the 2014 Suburban Dad Survivalist Conference. This event will be held at Cabela's and will include many speakers on a variety of preparedness topics.
NRA INSTRUCTOR TRAINING - January 18-20
I'll be offering my annual NRA Instructor Training weekend, offering the standard package of Basic Instructor (6 hours), Home Firearm Safety Instructor (5 hours), Pistol Instructor (10+ hours), Personal Protection In the Home Instructor (8 hours). If you are already certified as a Pistol Instructor, you can attend the PP In the Home instructor by itself. Why get that certification? Because it's required for those wanting to get certified for the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home instructor rating, which is the only NRA rating that allows you teach someone to draw from a holster. I'll offer the PPOTH instructor course later in 2014.
NRA Training Counselor Bill Agnell is offering a Chief Range Safety Officer course on January 25th in Austin. The training is 9 hours and will cost registered Capitol Area Council Boy Scouters $75.00. For other non-scouters it will be $125.00. To take the training, participants must already be a RSO and have attended a NRA basic intructor training class (BIT), which is always offered prior to any of the NRA Instructor Courses. Register here.
BEN STOEGER - February 8-9, $400
We're bringing current USPSA National Production champion Ben Stoeger back for a 2 day competition pistol course on February 8-9. Ben's books on dry fire, his youtube videos, and his podcast are excellent sources of knowledge. Ben also shoots IDPA, so the skills he teaches in this course will be appropriate for all of the defensive/practical/action pistol sports.
MASSAD AYOOB MAG-20 - March 8-9, $450
We will be hosting Massad Ayoob in March, for his 20 hour MAG-20 classroom course. It will be held at the Norris Conference Center at Northcross Mall. Cost is $450 because tuition includes a catered lunch each day. Registration is open now. This is Mas's first class in Austin. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of this rare training opportunity.
LONE STAR MEDICS FIELD AND TACTICAL MEDICAL CONFERENCE
Our good friends at Lone Star Medics will be running their 1st annual Field and Tactical Medical Conference on March 29-30, 2014, in Dallas. Over 20 well known instructors in the field and tactical medical training industry will present hands-on instruction in field and tactical medicine. Each instructor will present at two different levels, the layperson’s level and the healthcare professional’s level. There are no prerequisites for any conference session. Register here.
KR Training Shooting Team News
Team captain Roy Stedman was top overall (match winner) at the 2013 Texas Steel Shootout held in Corpus Christi on December 14th. He beat shooting legend Jerry Miculek by one plate (177 to 176). Congratulations to Roy for this outstanding achievement!
- December Rangemaster newsletter from Tom Givens
- Lessons from the Krick's Korner robbery
- New range being built in San Marcos
- Eight ways to spot a bad self defense product
- Cleveland Plain Dealer editorial advocating armed staff at schools
- New indoor range opening in Cedar Park
- Austin-area armed citizen sentenced to 20 years in jail for shooting trespasser
- Open source (free) laser dry fire software
- M&P 9 online gun review from a KR Training student
- "Gun Guys" book now in paperback (a good read about the gun culture from a moderate, interesting insights about why people carry and own guns)
- Lessons learned from Newtown
- Texas cop's AAR of a homicide case
- latest guns and violence stats for the US
- great observations about the appeal (and failure of) "point shooting" programs
- Texas-based Cimarron Firearms offering 6 scholarships for "young guns"
STUFF FROM HSOI (blog highlights)
- We are not the people to be afraid of (DPS data on CHL holder crimes)
- If you live in Austin, here's where your car will get broken into
- The importance of managing time in the classroom
- Home break-in, what can we learn?
- Shopping list for the new shooter
- Brothers in Arms (new gun store/gunsmith in Bastrop)
We look forward to training you in 2014!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew