KR TRAINING APRIL 2014 NEWS
2014 SUMMER CLASSES
The latest schedule is here. We've added a bunch of classes to the schedule, including:
- Basic Pistol 2/Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (June 7)
- Handgun Coaching (June 21)
- NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (June 28)
- Defensive Pistol Skills 3 (June 29)
- NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor (June 29-30)
- Basic Pistol 1 (July 7)
- Defensive Long Gun Essentials (July 7, August 30)
- Handgun Beyond the Basics (July 19)
- Skill Builder (July 19, August 30)
- Advanced Training 5 (July 26)
- Lone Star Medics Dynamic First Aid (August 3)
- Defensive Pistol Skills for Backup Guns (August 9)
KR TRAINING ALUMNI YAHOOGROUP
Have questions you want us to answer? Want to share an interesting link we might use in the newsletter? Want us to comment on recent events?
We have created the KR Training Alumni Yahoogroup. Membership is limited to graduates of KR Training or others approved by us. To join the discussion, send an email to this address: email@example.com
NEW - HANDGUN COACHING CLASS
On June 21, a new course (Handgun Coaching) will debut. This 3 hour course is for people who completed Basic Pistol 2, CHL or Defensive Pistol Skills 1 who felt that the pace of the classes were too fast, that wanted more time or more repetitions on drills to feel comfortable with the techniques, had problems specific to their equipment (difficulty racking the slide, loading or ejecting magazines, locking the slide open, holster issues), or want help learning how to disassemble their gun or clean it. The new course will be limited to 8 students and will have a slower pace and lower stress than our regular courses.
NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME & DPS-3
We will be offering the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course for all students, and the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor course, over a 3 day period from June 28-30. Day 2 (6 hours) of the NRA PPOTH course is the same as our DPS-3 course.
Here are all the options available:
(1) Students can take Saturday PPOTH only, as an 8 hour standalone course, and get an NRA PPOTH certificate. That 8 hours of training is equivalent to taking our DPS-1 and DPS-2 courses. For graduates of DPS-1 and DPS-2, it's an excellent review/refresher with slightly different drills.
(2) Students can take Saturday and Sunday PPOTH and get the enhanced NRA PPOTH certificate for the 14 hour course. This is equivalent to taking DPS-1, DPS-2 and DPS-3. Those attending on Sunday will also shoot the NRA Defensive Pistol qualification test.
(4) Instructor candidate that have already taken the 14 hour official NRA PPOTH student course (no equivalent training can substitute) can attend the Sunday and Monday instructor sessions and get their PPOTH instructor rating.
(5) Instructor candidate that have never taken the NRA PPOTH course have to attend all 3 days to get their PPOTH instructor rating. Instructor candidates must be certified NRA Personal Protection IN the Home Instructors to attend.
ADVANCED TRAINING 5 (REVISED) and DPS BACKUP GUN
Two other rarely-offered courses are on the schedule this summer. We have updated the AT-5 course to be a 50/50 split of live fire and force on force, with drills updated to use our new shoothouse and additional drills conducted in and around vehicles.
The DPS-1 "BUG" class is a chance to use that little gun (in any caliber) that you'll be carrying in your pocket all summer - that gun you never practice with because it's no fun to shoot, but it's the one you are betting your life on. It's important to train with what you actually carry. You will shoot the NRA Defensive Pistol certification test during this course.
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MARCH NEWSLETTER?
We were busy, teaching 4 days at the 2014 A Girl and a Gun conference in Waco, running lots of classes, and doing construction on a permanent shoot house in our new 270 degree berm at the A-Zone.
KR TRAINING SHOOTING TEAM NEWS
Congratulations to KR Training shooting team members Roy Stedman and Tim Meyers! Roy was 4th overall, 2nd Master in Limited division, and Tim was top A, 8th overall in Production at the Texas Open Championship.
Over the past few years, Penny and I have assisted the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Marksmanship Team with coaching and range facilities for training. The TAMU CCMU team won the national Scholastic Steel Challenge championship, breaking several records in the process. The full article in The Shooting Wire is here.
- Man killed by police at Red Rock (graphic video)
- Short version of negligent discharge caused by jacket drawstring
- US Practical Shooting Association short videos on fundamentals
- Paul-A-Palooza 2 Conference August 16-17 in Ohio. This will be similar to the Polite Society conference, with many trainers offering short courses. This event raises funds for Paul Gomez' children.
- Vintage Jeff Cooper video from the 1970s (Linda Ellerbee profile on NBC)
- Bodycam footage of NM officer who shot armed fleeing suspect (graphic video)
- Lt. Governor runoff election candidate Dan Patrick pushed hard to get legislators carry rights beyond those of us "regular people" during the last legislative session.
- The Temple IPSC club is hosting a USPSA Range Officer Course April 26. Register here.
- Dashcam footage shows officer fatally shoot driver who rammed trooper (graphic video)
- Budget red dot comparison
- Texas shooting champion BJ Norris has a new youtube channel with shooting tips
- Top competitor Vera Koo's recovery from serious injury to return to the Bianchi Cup
- Mike Seeklander on student errors under stress
STUFF FROM HSOI (blog highlights)
- 300 meters, 600 meters - safe direction matters
- avoiding tragedy
- unpossible (guns on Westlake HS campus)
- MAG-20 AAR
- just say no to drawstrings
- Minimum Competency for Defensive Pistol - revisited
- Wiser Choices
- What should she have done?
- Standards of Performance
- March 29th DPS2 AT2 Low Light Shooting AAR
We look forward to training you in 2014!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training crew